Up and Running

24 Mar

Thanks so much for all your well-wishes on Friday.  I somehow managed not to have a total nervous breakdown, and we had a great show to boot!  It only takes about two steps onto the stage for my nerves to totally disappear, but waiting for that moment can be quite intense. 

Saturday night was the comedy of errors:  We had one broken toe, one jammed toe, one backstage fall, one missed lift, and one onstage heart palpitation.  (None of those was mine, thankfully!!)  The only thing that happened to me was that my microphone stopped working.  So I’m onstage in the middle of a pretty emotional scene in the 2nd act and my opposite enters and grabs my hand.  Now normally we aren’t anywhere close to each other for this scene because we’re fighting.  I’m looking at him like “um, you didn’t tell me we were changing this up” and he just keeps holding my hand.  And I would try to pull away, and he wouldn’t let go.  So I just went with it.  It certainly added intensity to the scene:  imagine fighting face-to-face versus being across the room.  Finally he let go and I exited for a split-second before re-entering to sing my big ballad and I hear a stagehand say “your mic’s not on…PROJECT!!!”  I walked back out and sang the song, but instead of crooning like I usually do, I had to belt the darn thing so the audience could hear it.  My girlfriend said she loved it “unplugged” so I guess it worked, but it certainly wasn’t my first choice for that song.  Once I finished the number there were two more stagehands waiting to fix the mic, which is also a little awkward because you basically just take your shirt off and stand there while they work behind your back trying to fix the thing.  Ah well, I lost my modesty long, long ago…

Happily we were off on Sunday so I finally got some rest.  I’ve slept 10 hours each of the past two nights…obviously I’ve got some catching up to do.  I’m looking forward to a nice, easy week.  (Hubs is out of town, so it’s cereal for dinner at Funny Girl’s house!)  Then back to work on Friday for three weekend performances. 

Have a fabulous week, everyone!!



5 Responses to “Up and Running”

  1. Kath March 24, 2009 at 10:40 am #

    Three words: Love the Du. In other words, your wig! I am sure you were fab darling…still waiting to go see you in NY rather than just go with you to shop and see other people’s shows! Big Hugs superstar!

  2. Patrick March 24, 2009 at 11:01 am #

    I had the mic thing before at The Wortham and it was CRAZY! Someone told me it is the cell phones in the audience that are not off that interfere with the signal from/to the mic.

  3. Darla Baerg March 24, 2009 at 12:16 pm #

    Glad it went well. Hoping to make it!

    Enjoy your Fruit Loops!

  4. anymommy March 26, 2009 at 10:32 pm #

    Keep knocking ’em dead, my love.

  5. Spring March 30, 2009 at 12:57 pm #

    I am soooo excited for you 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: